Bob Connors Memorial Award
Coach Robert Connors was hired as Wakefield Varsity football coach in 1984 and faced the inauspicious task of turning around a sagging Wakefield Football program. In spite of a team record of 1 win against 9 losses in his first Wakefield season people could sense an incredible change in the players’ attitude toward the game. Of course winning was important to Coach Connors: he had a glorious storybook career as an inducted hall of fame athlete at Wakefield High School, Waltham High School and Northeastern University; earned a tryout for the New York Giants; an illustrious career as boys football and girls basketball coach at Waltham High; was offensive coordinator for Bentley College Football team. But winning was not of the ultimate importance to the great Robert Connors.
Bob Connors’ best attribute might have been his uncanny way to motivate people to rise to a higher level; put the wins and losses in a dignified perspective and to make the game fun with the help of his renowned dry humor and incisive wit. He was known for his love of children and especially his generosity and support of the underprivileged. The regard and esteem in which he was held by his peers and students in high school and college was legendary as was the modesty in the acknowledgement of his successes. Even as he battled with cancer before his premature death in 1998 at the age of 51, the courage and determination he exhibited were just as remarkable as his outstanding athletic accomplishments.
Robert Connors left an indelible memory of a leadership style and gentlemanly approach to not only sports but to those around him as well. He personified the spirit of teamwork; the soul of a team; the character of leadership and the integrity of a successful organization; while demonstrating the essence of life itself.
Bob Connors Memorial Award Recipients
Awarded to a Wakefield High School Varsity Football Player who best exemplifies the spirit and philosophy of Coach Connors by displaying leadership, integrity and character on and off the football field.
|Fall Of||Award Winner||GradYr|
- 1962-1965 Waltham High School
- Class President
- Football quarterback and defensive back
- Voted most respected by graduating class
- Basketball Captain and guard
- State Class A Champion in Javelin throw 1965 Member
- Waltham High School Hall Of Fame
- Northeastern University
- Graduated cum laude in 1972 Bachelor of Science
- 1967-1969 Letterman at Northeastern University
- 1969 Team MVP
- Still ranks in categories for individual game records. (Touchdown passes and Completion percentage)
- Still ranks in categories for individual career records. (Touchdown passes, Total offense, passing yards, Interceptions and rushing touchdowns)
- 1970 Signed with New York Giants playing one year at their affiliate as defensive back for The Long Island Bulls of the Atlantic Coast League
- 1972-1975 Backfield coach for Waltham High Varsity Football
- 1976-1981 Head Coach Waltham High Varsity Football Record of 43-14
- Won Suburban League title in 1977 and a share in 1978 & 1981
- 1976-1997 Girls Basketball Coach
- guided program to many Division 1 North appearances including ten straight from 1987-1997 and a greater Boston League Championship in 1996.
- 1984-1989 Wakefield Varsity Football Coach
- 1989 Middlesex League Champion
- 1986 Middlesex League Coach of the year
- 1984-1989 Wakefield Varsity Football Coach
- 1989 Middlesex League Champion – 1986 Middlesex League Coach of the year
- 1990-1997 Bentley College Falcons Football Offensive Coordinator
- Instrumental in developing several championship teams
- 1990 Inducted into Northeastern University Hall of Fame click for biography
- 1998 10-24 Captains Club established in Waltham
- In commemoration of Bob Connors’ number in football (10) and Basketball (24) an honor is placed upon all captains of all varsity sports from all seasons (fall, winter & spring) who are in good standing, to recognize captains for leadership and effort.
- 1998 Robert A. Connors Waltham High School Girls Basketball Memorial Award Established
- given to a senior who demonstrates courage, leadership, character, integrity and true dedication to her sport and her team.
- 1998 Robert A. Connors Wakefield High School Memorial Award Established
- Awarded to a Wakefield High School Varsity Football Player who best exemplifies the spirit and philosophy of Coach Connors by displaying leadership, integrity and character on and off the football field.
- 2001Inducted into the Wakefield Hall Of Fame
- Coaching Staff
- Record Book
- Performance Awards
- Post Season All Star Recognition
- Team Archives
- Bob Connors Memorial Award
- Julio O. Encarnacao Sr. Memorial Award
- Michael Magliozzi Memorial Award
- Bunty Thakkar Memorial Award
- Ron Wood Memorial Award
- Shawmut Award
- Wakefield Semi Pro Team
- Thanksgiving Game History